Sunday, October 5, 2008

Walk to remember

We went to Avon Town Hall Park for the Walk to Remember Baby Huang. The walk commemorates the lives of children who have died. The program included a memorial service, dove release and a leisurely walk around the park's lake. The dove release was amazing and beautiful.

Each October, as part of National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month, officially proclaimed by President Ronald Reagan in 1988, we come together for a Walk to Remember. We come as bereaved parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, cousins, friends, and healthcare providers – as a community – to honor and remember our children, of any age, whose lives were all too short. We are here to remind each other that we are not alone and to proclaim that no child should be forgotten.

Here are the words of the book "Born to Fly - An Infant's Journey to God".

A miracle has happened.
A life has begun.
"Are you there God? "
"Yes, I am here, Nathan," the Lord whispered.
"Where am I?"
"You are in the womb of your mother," God smiled.
"Oh what is that sound?" Nathan asked.
"It is the voice of your mother, Nathan. She is singing to you."
"It's beautiful."
"Yes. She loves you very much," God said.
"I feel the warmth on my back," Nathan whispered.
"Yes, she is rubbing her stomach, caressing you the best she can right now. She is speaking to me, Nathan. She is asking me to care for you."
"I will kick her back, so she knows I love her, too" Nathan said excitedly.
God smiled.
"Now what is she saying, God?"
"Your mother is laughing, Nathan."
"She is happy, isn't she God?"
"Yes, Nathan. She is happy."
"I hear a different sound. What is that?"
"It is the voice of your dad, Nathan."
"He sounds strong," Nathan said.
"Yes," answers God.
"I'm not feeling so well, God"
"I know my son, but soon you will fly."
"I will fly?"
"Yes," God smiled.
"Will my mother fly with me?"
"Someday," God said.
"I think I'm ready," Nathan whispered.
"I know, my child."
"Is it time to fly now, God?"
"Yes," God said gently, and wiped His eyes.
"When will I see you, God?"
"Very soon, my son."
"Is that my mother and my dad?"
"Yes, Nathan," God said and pulled the child onto His lap.
"Why are they crying?"
"They cry for you, my child," God answered as He wrapped his arms around the boy.
"Why do they cry for me?" Nathan asked.
"Because they want to hold you in their arms, Nathan."
"But instead, You hold me in Your arms, huh, God?"
"Yes son," God said.
"Why does that make them sad, God? I like it in Your arms!"
"They love you very much, Nathan. It can make a mommy's and daddy's heart sad when they don't get to hold their children - I know how it feels to watch my child die."
"Have I died, God?"
"Just on earth, Nathan."
"I don't feel dead. I feel very much alive! Watch how fast I can run!" Nathan crawled down from God's lap.
"Yes Nathan, you are fast," God clapped.
"Now watch me fly!" Nathan said as he soared high.
"You are amazing!" God laughed.
Nathan settled back in the safety of God's arms and said, "When will my parents fly, God?"
"Someday my child."
"We will fly together?"
"Yes Nathan, my mark is on their foreheads."
"Good," Nathan said."Will you tell them I am safe and happy?"
"I will comfort them, my child."
"Will they be happy again?"
"Yes child. They will heal."
"And someday we will all get to be with you, huh, God?"
"Yes, Nathan. Someday," God promised.
"I love you, God." Nathan said as he snuggled close to God.
"I love you too, son," God said as he put His hand on Nathan's head.
"Take good care of my parents until they fly!" Nathan said.
"I promise," God whispered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!