Saturday, May 3, 2014

Update on Nolan 5/3/14

Back story: My mom flew up on Thursday so that David and I could take a long weekend in Chicago with his sister before she moves to Ohio. So David and I left Friday morning after the kids were on the bus for school. Nolan had a runny nose, but was acting normal. I asked him if he was sick and if he wanted to go to school. He wanted to go to school and didn't seem sick enough to stay home, it was just a runny nose with clear mucus. He came home and ate lunch, he tends to not eat when he's sick, and then took a nap. When he woke up he was hot, so my mom called me asking where the thermometer is and where the medicine it. I told her I don't get them medicine unless they are uncomfortable. I feel their bodies need to fight whatever is going on. 5 minutes later I get a call from my mom that Nolan had a seizure and she is on the phone with 911. I hang up on her and call our neighbor and good friend Shannon to come help watch Isaac while Nolan goes to the hospital. I am so thankful for my mom and Shannon's fast, calm actions to make sure Nolan got help as soon as possible.
From what I understand his seizure lasted 30 seconds and it took him 30 minutes to and hour to come to. In the ambulance on the way to the hospital he came to with Shannon next to him and he asked Shannon to play hide and seek. That's one of his favorite games to play at her house. He was given Tylenol and Motrin at the hospital because his heart rate was high and his fever was at 101.4.
The doctors tell me that the seizure is most likely caused by his fever coming on so quick. They also did a check xray and found that he has the beginnings of pneumonia. He was given two shots of antibiotic before leaving the hospital and we were told to watch for more seizures and to give more antibiotics and to alternate Tylenol and Motrin.
I slept with him last night and he woke up at 5 am burning up. Tylenol was given and he started feeling much better. So far today he is doing well as long as he is on medicine. He is also still eating normally. We will have a follow up with his pediatrician on Monday.
I can not say enough how grateful I am for my mom's quick thinking and Shannon's caring actions to care for my children as if they are her own. Our neighbors have also been so willing to offer help. One came over when the ambulance came to stay with Isaac. So many things happened during this crisis that had God's hand in it. The timing of phone calls, the availability of neighbors, they paramedics words. I'm just in awe of it all right now.

1 comment:

  1. Norlan, poor little boy suffering the unbearable. I hope that this seizure problem does not happen to you any more



Thanks for leaving a comment!